Effective January 1, 2002: Documents that do not meet the
requirements set forth in 59.005, 59.310 and 59,313 RSMo
may be recorded for an additional fee of twenty-five ($25.00)
- Top margin (first page only) shall be at least three (3) inches of
vertical space from let to right--all other margins should be 3/4 inch.
- Page shall not be larger than 8 1/2 inches in width and 11 inches in
height (excluding Plats & Surveys).
- All Signatures shall be in black or dark ink.
- Use of white or light colored paper less than 20 lbs. weight without
- Print shall not be smaller than 8 point type and shall be black or dark
- There shall be no continuous forms or permanent binding.
- Do not staple, tape or glue attachments.
First Page Designations
Every document containing any of the items listed in this subsection that is
presented for recording, except plats and surveys, shall have such
information on the FIRST PAGE below the three inch margin:
- The title of the document.
- The date of the document.
- All grantors' names.
- All grantees' names.
- Any statutory addresses.
- The legal description of the property.
- Reference book and pages for statutory requirements, if applicable.
If there is not sufficient room on the first page for all of the information,
the page reference within the document where the information is set out
shall be stated on the first page.
Documents which are exempt from format requirements and which the
Recorder of Deeds may record include the following:
- Documents which were signed prior to January 1, 2002.
- Military separation papers
- Documents executed outside the U.S.
- Certified copies of documents, including death certificates.
- Any document where one of the original parties is deceased or
- Judgments or other documents formatted to meet court
Any document rejected by a Recorder of Deeds shall be returned to the
preparer of presenter accompanied by an explanation of the reason it
could not be recorded.